Celery is a super food that contains a high concentration of antioxidants called polyphenols. Studies have found that this juice has the highest total antioxidant content of any vegetable tested. Antioxidants help protect cells from damage caused by free radicals.
This vegetable has many other benefits, including:
- It is high in minerals, including potassium, magnesium, zinc, and iron, all of which play important roles in maintaining healthy blood pressure.
- All of these nutrients and compounds work together to promote good health and ward off disease. They also reduce the risk of a heart attack, stroke and may even help to prevent dementia.
- It is a good source of vitamin K, which promotes healthy blood clotting. Vitamin K also helps the body use calcium for strong bone structure and to maintain strong teeth and bones.
- It is a good source of fibre, aids digestion and has an alkalising effect.
- It is a good source of vitamin C and the phytochemical luteolin, which appears to protect against breast cancer and other cancers.
- It contains a wide variety of antioxidants and anti-inflammatory compounds.
Some people may be allergic to this vegetable and experience reactions such as an itchy mouth or tongue, a runny nose and sneezing.
Additionally, celery is high in oxalates, which may cause kidney stones. So, it may not be good to consume if you have kidney stones or suffer from a kidney problem.
Always check with your doctor before consuming if you have kidney issues or are concerned.