Saffron is an aromatic and sweet-smelling spice, which comes from the flower of Crocus Sativus. Saffron is used in many recipes, including rice dishes, desserts like custard and ice cream and can even be used in tea. It is golden yellow, has a delightful taste and is very powerful.
Saffron is also considered to be the most expensive spice in the world. The main reason this product is so expensive is because it’s produced via a very labour-intensive process, which makes the cost of producing the herb extraordinarily high.
It was originally grown in Greece, where it was revered for its medicinal properties. People would eat saffron to enhance their libidos, boost their moods, and improve their memories.
Here are the top 11 health benefits of saffron. It:
- Is an energy booster and a natural remedy for depression.
- Is an aphrodisiac.
- Can help to eliminate stress and anxiety disorders.
- Is used to fight obesity and to help people to lose weight.
- Is used to prevent Alzheimer’s disease.
- Is used to improve the skin texture.
- Can help to reduce the symptoms of menopause and menstrual problems.
- Can be used to treat insomnia.
- Can be used to treat asthma.
- Can help to relieve headaches, toothaches and can be used to treat coughs.
- Can halt the development of tumors, leading to an increase in the survival rate of pancreatic cancer patients.
What are the risks?
Some of the risks associated with eating too much saffron include flushes, diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, low mood, sweating, drowsiness, dry mouth and change in appetite. People may also have an allergic reaction to saffron, so it’s best to be careful when consuming it.
Saffron is a wonderful spice that has many health benefits. There are many ways you can consume it and enjoy the benefits it provides.
Try it in your tea or to give flavour to your dishes today! What do you think about saffron, do you like it?